• About Mosma
    • Teaching Methods
    • MOSMA Graduates
    • Facilities
    • Audio in Media
    • Introduction to Pro Tools
    • How To Apply
    • Start Dates
    • Pre Study Resources
    • Canadian Students
    • International Students
    • Facilities

International Students

At MOSMA we believe that International Students add a cross-cultural experience to our school in that it unites a diverse group of people from Canada and around the world into a unique community, which extends from the classroom to everyday life.

Studying in another country should be an educational and cultural experience where individuals can socialize and network within our communities; experiencing various events, activities, and different seasons. We believe that studying Audio Production at MOSMA offers our students a life-long educational and cultural experience.

  • + International Student Admissions »

    Your Admission

    Applicants who are not Canadian Citizens or Permanent Residents of Canada and whose primary language is not English must ensure all official documents required in the application package are translated to English. Applicants must also provide evidence of proficiency in English.

    To be considered for the Audio in Media programme all applicants must meet the standards detailed below.

    English Proficiency:

    English is the language of instruction and communication at MOSMA. Applicants whose primary language is not English must demonstrate a command of English adequate to meet the demand of classroom/studio instruction, written assessments, and participation in discussions and practical assignments. All applicants must:

    • Complete an English proficiency test provided by one of the organizations below:
    • IELTS (International English Language Testing System) - Test takers must complete the ‘General Training Test’ module and achieve a minimum ‘Overall Band Score' of 6.

      Please visit the IELTS website for test details and study guides.

      TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) - Test takers must complete an iBT Test and achieve a minimum ‘Total Score’ of 60.

      Please visit the TOEFL website for test details and study guides.

      GELI Winnipeg (English Academic Preparation Course) - Successful completion of the English Academic Preparation Course will result in a equivalent IELTS score of 6.

      Please visit the GELI Winnipeg website for course details.

    • Ensure results of your IELTS Overall Band Score or TOEFL Total Score are sent to the Admissions Office.
    • Confirm that our admission office has received results of your english proficiency test before you submit your application package.
    Translated Documents:

    Academic records must be translated in their entirety, including any information that appears on the reverse side of any document by a certified English translator.

    • Make a photocopy of your original transcript.
    • Take the copy to a certified English translator and ask them to provide a complete, word-by-word, literal English translation.
    • Ask the translator to endorse both the original language photocopy and the English translation.
    • submit both the translated transcript copy and the original in the original language with your application package to be sent to Admissions.

    • + Study Permit »

      Your Study Permit

      To study in Canada, you may need a study permit and/or temporary resident visa, though not everyone must have these documents, most foreign students require a study permit to study in Canada. To apply for a study permit on or after June 1, 2014, you will need a letter of acceptance from a designated learning institution. You need to include the Designated Learning Institution number (DLI #), which is the number that begins with the letter “O”, on your application form.


      • You must have been accepted by a designated learning institution in Canada.
      • You must prove that you have enough money to pay for your:
        •Tuition fees
        •Living expenses for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada and
        •Return transportation for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada
      • You must be a law-abiding citizen with no criminal record and not be a risk to the security of Canada. You may have to provide a police certificate.
      • You must be in good health and willing to complete a medical examination, if necessary.
      • You must satisfy an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your authorized stay.

      • If you wish to study in a short-term course or program you do not need a study permit if you plan to take a course or program in Canada that lasts six months or less. You must complete the course or program within the period authorized for your stay in Canada, even if you do not need a study permit, it is a good idea to apply for a permit before you come to Canada.
      • Foreign representatives to Canada: if you are a family member or staff member of a foreign representative to Canada accredited by Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada, you may not need a permit to study in Canada.
      • Members of foreign armed forces: if you are a member of a foreign-armed force under the Visiting Forces Act, you do not need a permit to study in Canada.

      International applicants are encouraged to apply at least 5 months prior to your interested start date. If you are accepted to the Audio in Media programme, this ensures ample time to find accommodations and to apply and process your application for a Study Permit.

      For more information on Studying in Canada: Immigration Canada

      For expected processing times for your country: Application Processing Times

      • + Housing »

        Your Housing

        The preparation of moving to another country is an exciting event for students. For most of you, it is your first time in Canada and the first time to experience our culture. Here in Winnipeg, the capital city of Manitoba where MOSMA calls home, students benefit from a low cost of living compared to most metropolitan cities in Canada.

        From our experience, international students have enjoyed accommodation with Home-stay or Host Families where you rent a suite (room) within a family home. This allows you to fully experience the culture and language first-hand.

        International students have also found roommates or have independently rented apartments or houses. This is beneficial to students who prefer more privacy and independent living. This is also a great way to experience our culture, depending on the area, you can find housing in vibrant neighborhoods where there are plenty of restaurants, cafes, convenience stores and transit access well within walking distance of your home.

        Home-Stay/Host Family:

        Accommodations with Host Families can vary in cost depending upon amenities such as; room size, meals, Internet access, personal TV & telephone, distance from transit and so on.

        Average cost for Standard Accommodation starts at $600.00 CAD per month. Standard amenities included:

        • English speaking family
        • Private room with a window
        • Comfortable bed (includes linen, duvet, blanket and two pillows per bed)
        • Night table, lamp, and alarm clock/radio or a dresser
        • Work desk with chair and desk lamp
        • Closet and mirror
        • Access to TV with cable channels in the living room
        • Private or shared bathroom
        • Meals (If required: cost per month will increase depending on 1-3 meals/day)

        There are typically three levels of Home-stay accommodations: Standard (listed above), Semi-Deluxe, and Deluxe. The differences between them may include private bathroom, double/queen size bed, room size, in-room high speed Internet, in-room TV etc.

        For more information: Winnipeg Homestay Agency

        Apartment Rental:

        Apartment and house rentals will vary on what is included with the rental cost. This will depend on whether or not it is furnished, what utilities are included (electricity, water, and gas/heat), and location.

        Average cost for an Un-furnished bachelor apartment starts at $549.00 CAD per month. Standard amenities included:

        • Fridge
        • Stove
        • Hydro
        • Heat (Gas)
        • Water
        • Full Bath
        • On-Site Laundry

        For more information: RentBoard.ca

        • + Transportation »

          Your Transportation

          As a Registered Private Vocational Institution in Manitoba, our students are able to obtain ID Go-Cards, which give students access to various discounts as Post Secondary Students; one of these is Transit Passes. Monthly Transit Passes are the most economical choice for students who do not have access to a vehicle. We also have a bike compound for students who wish to cycle to school or you might arrange car-pooling with your fellow students if available.

          Monthly Transit Pass:

          • Full Fare: $100.10 (2019)
          • Post-Secondary Pass (MOSMA Students): $80.10 (2019)

          For more information: Winnipeg Transit